Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Quick Follow Up

I'm starting Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) again today. That is my fifth antibiotic pill that I'm now taking twice a day. As soon as we get back to Salt Lake I've got to get to the ophthalmologist, since Plaquenil can cause retinal damage, (it's reversible...so if they start to see damage they take you off the drug.) I saw the ophthalmologist six months ago when I started on it, so he could do a baseline exam of my eyes. I was glad that he was somewhat familiar with Lyme and he told me that Plaq. is one of the strongest antibiotics, the best to be on for Lyme. If I have problems, I will have to go off of it, but hopefully I can hang in there, since I know it helps me.

I've been on the Alinia (Nitazoxanide, Nizonide) for five days now, and I've noticed that the severe joint pain I was having for several weeks over Christmas has almost gone away completely. I have a little stiffness in my hands and fingers, but that's about it. I have noticed that my same abdominal pain (from fall 2008) has been back for the past week, but I only had to take pain meds for it once. I still have the Rx for Lortab the Dr. wrote for me back then when I had the exploratory surgery, so I only use it when I absolutely have to. I'm glad I have it, though...it's nice to have something to make me comfortable when it's really bad. I anticipate that the abdominal pain will probably only last for the next week or two. It seems like getting back on everything has triggered cycles of symptoms that have lasted 2-3 weeks at a time. This is pretty normal to Lyme treatment and is called a Herxheimer reaction. It's basically caused by neurotoxins released as the bacteria die off. When you first start antibiotics (or increase your dose) this happens. When it's bad, I tell myself it's a really good sign -- it means my body is starting to win the war, and the cavalry (antibiotics) are having success!! I will be glad to get everything normalized. Then we just have to figure out how to pay for everything so that I can stay that way. That's the trick. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment