Friday, March 8, 2013

Babesia and Lyme Disease

When I was first diagnosed with Lyme Disease, I also tested positive for six other co-infections commonly carried by the same ticks that spread Lyme. Co-infections are separate, potentially serious infections that can be parasitic, bacterial, viral, etc., and are often transmitted to you via the same bite that gave you Lyme Disease. Co-infections make Lyme even more complicated and difficult to treat, because many times they can be responsible for causing bigger problems in the body, or exacerbating the problems already caused by Lyme Disease. Additionally, because it's working so hard dealing with all these different infections, the immune system can become overwhelmed and unable to effectively protect the body from any of them. When I first started treatment, my doctor explained that sometimes it's necessary to identify and treat your co-infections before you can have success in treating Lyme Disease.

In my case, we were concerned specifically with my worst symptom, severe and debilitating fatigue. When I use the word fatigue, I'm not talking about being tired, although you do experience sleepiness as well, because of the insomnia and other problems caused by Lyme. But debilitating fatigue has little to do with being tired. When I use the words debilitating fatigue, I'm talking about not being able to function. It's a constant feeling of having lead weights attached to your arms and legs, making it extremely difficult to move. When it was discovered that I had two different strains of Babesia, my doctor knew that while Lyme Disease does in fact cause debilitating fatigue all on its own, the level of fatigue I was experiencing was probably made worse by the Babesia infection. So we worked to clear up the Babesia.

What is Babesia?
 Many people have never heard of Babesia, but it is a relatively common tick borne infection in the world of Lyme Disease. Babesiosis is a parasitic protozoan infection. Babesia Microti is the most common species, and most cases worldwide are reported in the United States. Simply put, Babesia is an infection of the red blood cells. Upon infection, these little invaders cause lysis or rupture of the host's red blood cells. Red blood cells are essential, because they are responsible for transporting oxygen & other nutrients throughout the body. As the infection takes hold, the little parasites reproduce as quickly as possible and as red blood cell depletion increases, they actually begin to deprive their host of oxygen -- which causes extreme, debilitating fatigue.


Transmission of Babesia
While most cases of Babesia are caused by infected tick bites, there are documented cases of transmission via blood transfusion. I was surprised to read that it is actually THE most common disease transmitted via blood transfusion. By the way, this is a HUGE problem because so many infected people out there have no idea they have it...and may continue to do their civic duty by donating blood. So far, blood banks are not screening for it, although there are some experimental screening tests being used. Blood banks also don't screen for Lyme Disease.

In my opinion, it goes without saying: if you have been diagnosed with Lyme Disease and/or any of it's co-infections, you have a moral and ethical obligation NOT to donate blood, plasma or organs. Additionally, I was also told by my doctor that I should remove the "DONOR" designation from my driver's license. If you have Chronic Lyme Disease, where the spirochetes have had the opportunity to make themselves comfortable in all areas of your body - including all your organs - you could pass it on to the recipient of any donation.

Lifecycle of Babesia

Symptoms of Babesia
The symptoms of Babesia seem to be as generalized and vague as those of Lyme Disease. They are listed as flu-like symptoms, including fatigue, fever, malaise, chills & sweating. Most LLMD's describe Babesia as being a "Malaria-like" infection, and in fact, the two look so alike under the microscope that it is said to take a well-trained eye to recognize the differences and diagnose correctly. At my first visit with my LLMD, she informed me that the strange fevers in the evening and night sweats I reported were probably a result of Babesia...that was a revelation to me, since I had been to several doctors about those specific symptoms and each had looked at me like I was crazy. In the early stages of my illness, over the first year or two, I would frequently have low-grade fevers that would come on in the evening and last only a couple of hours. It generally happened 3 or 4 times a week. I also had frequent night sweats, where I would wake to my bedding & clothing being drenched. When my Lyme doctor was not only NOT surprised to hear of these strange symptoms, but also very familiar with them, I almost started to cry right there in her office. I was so relieved to finally have an explanation for so many of the strange and life-altering symptoms I'd been experiencing. The destruction of red blood cells by the Babesia is also a very easy explanation as to why, whenever I've had blood work done over the past 10 years, I'm always told I'm severely anemic. Not surprisingly, none of the doctors that rattled back to me all my "normal" blood tests ever thought there was a need to look into what might be causing the severe anemia.

Red Spots of Babesia
Another strange but seemingly common symptom or side effect reported by those diagnosed with Babesia are tiny red spots or dots called petechiae. They seem to show up mainly on the trunk and thighs. Many report first seeing them while on treatment, and some believe that it is actually a herx reaction to treatment. There doesn't seem to be much information into how or why these little dots appear, but they do seem to be very common among those undergoing treatment for Chronic Lyme Disease and Babesia. This certainly has been my experience. It's important to note, that lots of people have a few of these little spots here and there, and that doesn't mean you've got Babesia. I had a few before all of this started. But in my experience, at least, these spots showed up in droves all over my chest, belly and back while I was on treatment for Lyme & Babesia. Examples are pictured below.

Babesia is a complex illness in and of itself, and as a co-infection, only adds difficulty to the puzzle that makes up Chronic Lyme Disease. Current treatment recommendations include oral and IV clindamycin and oral quinine. My doctor prescribed a combination of medications for the duration of my treatment, and I found much relief from my Babesia symptoms while I was on Mepron, (Atovaquone) an anti-malarial drug. It was magical for me, however it was extremely expensive, so we also tried Alinia as a less-expensive alternative, and I had pretty good results with that as well. You can read more about my experience here. If you have not been tested for co-infections, but have experienced some or all of the symptoms listed above, it's worth a discussion with your LLMD. If you're going to an LLMD, chances are they've already discussed it with you!

For additional information on Babesia, visit http://aldf.com/Babesiosis.shtml

9 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that you have the ADLF listed for info- known for being opposed to chronic Lyme disease. Phillip Baker, president of the ADLF is also known for being crudely outspoken against Lyme disease advocacy, including referring to advocates and patients as "Lyme loonies". Given your site is actually quite good and informative, you might want to rethink any links to the ADLF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure I completely understand the first part of your comment. In writing a blog on my own personal experience with Lyme, I respect the readers of my blog as people that do their own homework, just as I do. As you well know, there is plenty of misinformation on the internet about Lyme and it's co-infections, and intelligent, informed people will make up their own minds about what is accurate and what is not. Because you do not agree with the personal opinions of the President of ALDF does not mean that every piece of information on the organization's website is inaccurate. I found the information on Babesia to be helpful and that's why I've linked to it.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you could find a more politically correct link to babesia information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. This is the first time I've seen credible video showing what babesia looks like. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi CBJ. Thanks for your posts, very helpful. Wondering how you did on your course of Alinia? I just started it for Bab, which I suspect I've had for a long time. Have been in treatment for Lyme etc for over a year (also in Seattle!). Thanks, hope you are doing well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on my 5th month of taking Mepron (nasty stuff, but you're right, it works fast and well). We thought I could stop at the 4 month mark, but after stopping taking, within two days I felt like I had the flu. I kept waiting to see if I'd pop a fever again, but after four days of misery I said screw this and started taking the Mepron again. In two days, there was a complete change in how I feel.

    I have no idea how long I've had Lyme. I was misdiagnosed for at least a year (they thought I had Lupus) but it's been exactly a year now. I'm downhearted that this doesn't seem to want to go away, and I'm fighting any way I know how to have a port put in because I take 32 pills a day and my stomach, through two endoscopies via two different doctors attached to two different hospitals, has been declared "very red, no ulcers, no tumors, gastritis". I'm nauseous a lot, difficult to eat, and I have fatty liver and have some liver damage but not enough to take anything for that yet.

    If you feel like messaging me, please do -- I really would like to connect with someone who has been dealing with this for so long and with someone who GETS it.

    Best wishes. lori at lorianderson dot net

    ReplyDelete
  6. My brother is experiencing symptoms of lyme disease and being treated through a detox protocol through a naturopath. However, he has pain in the ball and other areas of his right foot, which I read can be linked to babesiosis. How have you been recently? Do you still suffer symptoms? He gets intermittent hot patches and tingling.. also lower back pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for posting this and the pictures. I was searching online for 1-2 spots on the palm of the hand a day after the end of 28 days of doxycycline treatment. This is the best information I've found so far. I am concerned about the spots. Is this just a side effect of the antibiotics?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate you from the bottom of my Bb and babesia butt. Because it's bigger than my heart. Honey you guys wrote this so well. This grammy only wants to get well and be the best Ever! Knowledge is Power. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete