Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Treatment Plan

I started treatment on Monday, January 26th, with 30 different pills taken at eight different times throughout the day. Needless to say, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. In addition to all the pills, I will have to eat gluten, sugar and dairy free in an effort to increase the efficacy of the treatments, help boost my body's own ability to heal itself, and minimize negative side effects of the medications I'll be taking. I'm supposed to do 2-3 days of light weight training each week. In the past, this has been simple and something I have enjoyed doing...however feeling the way I do now, it seems like a tall order. 

I will start antibiotic therapy when I go back to see the doctor in another 4 weeks.  I will be doing combination therapy of four different kinds of antibiotics, administered daily both orally or IV, they have to see what I need specifically. They won't know that until all my blood tests are done. The therapy can last for several months or longer, depending on how I respond. I will be on treatments, (antibiotics, medications and supplements) for 3 to 5 years in all likelihood.

The treatments are going to make me really sick (supposedly I'll feel like I want to die...that's funny, I thought I was already really sick...haha) for the first few months, but then I will start feeling better and should start to see improvement in energy and some of the other symptoms that I've been having. The doctors that are doing this have had great success with it and the treatment is about 90% successful with most symptoms resolving, so I feel like I'm doing the right thing for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment