Monday, January 26, 2009

Getting a Diagnosis

On my friend's recommendation and my own research over a month's time, I decided to travel to Seattle to visit a doctor that specializes in Lyme and other related infections. After speaking to the doctor several times on the phone, I made the appointment and booked a plane ticket. I continued researching as much as I could about Lyme Disease, trying to sift through all the information and misinformation that's out there. 

Last week, I flew to Seattle to meet with the doctor. For two hours we went over my medical history in great detail. We also went over where I had lived, my outdoor activities, where I have traveled and other risk factors that might help determine my likelihood of having contracted Lyme. She also tested my reflexes and motor skills in addition to a traditional physical exam. The doctor said that based on all of the clinical data (things the doctor can observe), I was a classic case of what they call "Late Lyme" because they think I have had it for at least 10-15 years in order for it to be advanced enough to be causing so many symptoms that affect so many different body systems. In order to determine exactly where I'm at and how to proceed, they took 24 vials of blood to test all sorts of things from immune markers to the possibility of other infections or complications.

I was pretty shocked at first, but in reality I'm glad to know what's going on and I'm anxious to try to start addressing it. The treatment plan I've decided to follow is controversial, but I've done a lot of research and I feel it's the right thing for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment