Tuesday, June 9, 2009

It's Amazing...

Just a quick post today, because I haven't put anything on here in a few weeks. I am still feeling like I've got good energy, and it's going on almost a month now that I've felt that way. I still get tired, and usually have to take a nap during the day, but I don't wake up anymore feeling like I can't get out of bed. I've also noticed that my joints are so much better, little tasks involving my hands are much easier now. I was able to chop up a bunch of potatoes last night, something that I dreaded doing a couple months ago, because it hurt to do it. I'm still having a little pain in my right foot and hand, but it's hardly noticeable compared to what it was in January. The pain in my abdomen has gone completely away as well. I also noticed the other day that the constant throbbing in my hands and feet has gone away. I'm very excited that perhaps I have turned a major corner in all of this. I'm finally feeling like maybe I'm starting to get better. I'm nervous because today is my last day on the Mepron, (anti-malarial) and I think it has done wonders for my energy...I've read that sometimes as people stop their treatment with specific medications sometimes the symptoms come back within a few weeks.

I will leave that in the hands of my capable doctor. She specializes in Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, and she's also a naturopathic doctor, so she combines prescription medications with nutritional supplements that help to keep everything in balance. I've read horror stories about people doing treatment for Lyme, because the antibiotics are so aggressive they throw everything else out of whack. I haven't had any complications from all my meds, and I think it's because she knows what kind of support my body needs right now. In addition to my prescription meds, (antibiotics, antimalarials, etc.) I also take several different probiotics, vitamin D, multivitamin, trace minerals, zinc, immune stimulants & other supplements twice a day to keep everything up. Even once I'm completely better, I will always have to make sure I'm doing things to support my immune system, since this is where Lyme does most of it's initial damage. My doctor understands this and is helping me tailor a treatment plan just for me. She is awesome, and I feel really blessed that I was able to connect with her for my treatment.

My next appointment is Monday, June 22nd. I will probably get a whole new meds regimen, and we'll see how that goes. Because I go every 8 weeks, my next appointment won't be until the end of August. It's hard to believe how quickly time is flying by...my doctor had initially told me that the first 2 to 3 months of treatment is the worst, and then you start to see steady improvement. She also said that by August we should have most of my symptoms resolved. I confess, when she said that I had a hard time believing her. But now, a little more than three and a half months into my antibiotic treatment, I'm very excited to report that all signs point to marked improvement!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment