Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Going On Vacation??

Yesterday my boyfriend Bryan invited me to come with him to his family's annual reunion, a week-long retreat at a lake in Washington State. I am very excited about the opportunity to go with him, and it sounds like so much fun, but I am really nervous and a little scared about how I will feel (physically) while I'm there, and how I'm going to take all my medications in an inconspicuous way when we're all together in such close quarters.

We've been on weekend trips with friends in the past, but never for a week, and never with his family. I'm nervous about what he'll think (and what they'll think) if I'm too tired to do the types of fun, outdoorsy things that people do at reunions. What if I get really sick, or have a reaction to my meds? I'm going to go, of course. But I've got to figure out how best to address a lot of these concerns in my own mind. Being outdoors and trying to maintain normalcy in my life has really helped me to cope with everything that has happened this year, but going places is a bit more complicated given my "normal" right now.

Bryan is wonderful about everything, and has never given me any reason to worry about being tired or slow...he's very patient and always helpful. So the reality is, I really have no reason to worry about the family reunion. Bryan and I will have fun, no matter how I am feeling or what I can or can't do. I consider myself very blessed to have him in my life right now.

Anytime you are facing major challenges in life, it tends to become very clear who your true friends are. I'm really glad to have been blessed with such amazing and life-long friends that have really rallied around me to provide me with support. Bryan would be at the top of the list. When all of this is said and done, I want to be a better, more compassionate and understanding person, so that hopefully I can provide others with the love, support and hope that I have felt from the people in my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment